A Columbia County man has been charged with animal cruelty for using zip ties to tighten a shock collar around a puppy’s neck, authorities said.
Long brought the dog to the Heartsong Animal Clinic on Friday to be neutered, according to a sheriff’s report.
What the veterinarian found was troubling:
- The dog had a terrible odor and two spots on his neck near the collar that were stained from the draining wounds.
- The pet’s owner had placed a shock collar on the animal that he made even tighter with zip ties.
- The collar was so tight that the prongs had punctured into the dogs neck causing two holes and damage to his vocal cords.
- When the vets shaved the area and cleaned the puncture wounds, the dog did not utter a single sound.
- The vets believe significant if not permanent damage was done to the dogs vocal cords from the puncture wounds as well as the electric shock from the device.