A Warrenville woman has given birth to a second daughter that tested positive for drugs, authorities said.
Kristin Owens, 21, of Peggy Circle, was free on bond from a December 2019 arrest for child neglect when she became impregnated again and used drugs during the pregnancy, authorities said. The second daughter was born Oct. 3 at Aiken Regional Medical Centers and tested positive for meth and marijuana. Owens’ actions placed her child “at unreasonable risk of harm,” a warrant says.
Here is the timeline:
- Aug. 8, 2019: Owens gives birth to a daughter who tests positive for marijuana and meth.
- Dec. 12, 2019: She is arrested for unlawful neglect of a child and bonds out soon after.
- Dec. 17, 2019: Owens bonds out and goes free.
- June 12, 2020: After the charge lingers, her attorney makes a demand for a preliminary hearing. The case continues to linger without resolution.
- Oct. 3, 2020: Owens gives birth to another daughter who tests positive for meth and marijuana.
- Dec. 2, 2020: She is arrested for unlawful neglect of a child and probation violation.
- Dec. 3, 2020: Owens remains in jail under a $80,000 bond, which includes $75,000 for the probation violation and $5,000 for the felony child neglect.
A sheriff’s report says the second daughter has been placed with a caregiver.
Owens was previously arrested as an 18-year-old when she was found with a shooting suspect. Deputies found Monroe Hall hiding under a box spring at an Econo Lodge. He was charged with trafficking meth, possession of a stolen firearm, simple possession of marijuana, burglary and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.
Owens was one of three people found in the room with Monroe, according to sheriff’s office reports. Deputies said Owens and others consented to the hotel room search.
In a similar arrest, Aiken County authorities arrested 26-year-old Sydnie Bell of North Augusta on Wednesday for unlawful neglect of a child.
Bell is accused of consuming illegal drugs while pregnant, causing her newborn daughter to test positive for opiates and meth at the time of birth July 7 at Aiken Regional Medical Centers, an arrest warrant says.
Bell remained in jail Wednesday night. She is the same woman arrested in 2015 on charges of dealing marijuana and cocaine and possession a stolen handgun. She was also arrested for shoplifting as a teenager.