Authorities are hunting Smitty Melton for the brazen shotgun-death of a code enforcement employee.
The victim’s name was not immediately released. Witnesses say Melton shot the victim three times, possibly in the face, with a shotgun while he was on 13th Avenue for an inspection.
Previous arrests of the 65-year-old suspect shows he has an address of 1224 13th Avenue in Augusta. Here are his arrest history, according to online records from Richmond County.
- Aug. 29, 2014: Driving while license suspended
- Oct. 13, 2012: Possession of controlled substance, driving while license suspended (drug charge was pled down to disorderly conduct)
- Dec. 27, 2010: Driving with a suspended license, no proof of insurance
- April 25, 2006: Driving while expired license
- May 2, 2000: Laying drags
- Jan. 10, 1998: Aggravated assault (dismissed in 1999)
In Aiken County, he also has a history of charges, including many traffic offenses. However, he had a serious charge of unlawful neglect of a child in 2003 that was dismissed and a stolen pistol charge in 1997 that was also dismissed.
In Thursday’s killing, investigators were called to the scene around 9:53 a.m.
Commissioner Dennis Williams told local reporters that the victim was there for an inspection when the suspect shot him three times.
“It’s a sad day for Augusta,” Williams said. “But it’s the way our society is going.”
A wanted poster says that Melton is wanted for Murder in reference to a Homicide that occurred on the 1200 block of 13th Avenue Augusta, GA 30904 on Thursday, August 20, 2020.
Any information concerning this subject, please contact Inv. Walter McNeil 706-821-1078, or any On-Duty Investigator at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.